Drydock

A place for non mission in character posts
Ryan Murphy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Drydock

Post by Ryan Murphy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 am

The Sampson had been dry docked for repairs after their latest battle with the Gorn. She nearly had been gutted and her Captain, as well as many others had been killed. They were left with a new and young Captain, who was still learning his new role. Trial by fire if you will. The Captain had been in the middle of reviewing the after action report when he heard a knock qt the door. He than stated, "Come in"

It was the yard manager for dry dock, once they stepped inside, the Captain rose to his feet and greeted the Lieutenant. The petite female than said, "Sir, we have a damage report for your review, as well as some suggestions for improvements" The Commanding Officer nodded slightly and stated, "I will review it and advise you accordingly. Proceed with structural repairs you can until you hear from me" The female than handed the PADD to the Commanding Officer and nodded to the man, before taking her leave.

The Commanding Officer took a seat and proceeded to review the information.
Lieutenant Commander Ryan Murphy

Commanding Officer
USS Sampson
"It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Brienne Rose

Re: Drydock

Post by Brienne Rose » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 am

Brienne had never truly expected to see combat...not like that. She'd gone to the Academy primarily for studies in more peaceful fields - culture, linguistics, music.

...and then she wrote that stupid thesis.

Her reassessment of an ancient Romulan text, shedding new light on the development of the ancient empire and their split from the peaceful, Vulcan space, had actually shaken up the upper echelons of the anthropological community, far beyond the meager student's paygrade, and had drawn the attention of the Sampson's commanding and science officers, both of whom had been impressed with her new insights into what had previously been seen as a largely academic topic.

But for all the prestige her insights had afforded her, right about then, she wished she had never wrong that stupid thesis.

Then again, if she hadn't been there, the chief medical officer and seven injured crewmen that had been laid up in the medical bay might not be alive. It had almost been an accident. Brienne never thought quickly on her feet. But she'd thought to check on the medbay during the attack and managed to aid the medical staff and the injured. Honestly, it'd been a blur. She was surprised, almost alarmed to hear how she'd taken charge in the face of the threat, panickedly giving orders far beyond her paygrade.

If things had gone badly, she'd probably have been court-marshaled. Instead, she was commended.

But still, if her own commanding officer, the previous - now late - Chief Science Officer hadn't been killed during the attack, Brienne might just have a new medal to show off to Marshal instead of a new commission and a huge promotion.

It was almost ludicrous how everything had worked out, in an incredibly morbid way, to get her where she was now - no replacements were immediately available, no one on the ship had the rank or the expertise to take command...it left the commanding officers a bit puzzled, and they'd agreed to review the situation when things had calmed down a bit...

...but for now, Brienne Rose - 26 year old "brilliant but lazy" Brienne Rose - was the chief science officer of a combat-ready naval vessel.

It would have been hilarious if she wasn't so utterly paralyzed with panic.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," she whined. Her brother had recently started his own adventure, executive officer of an exploration vessel. She knew he was busy now, and incredibly far from home...

...but god she needed some reassurance now.

She shoved a pile of papers off her desk - a project she'd been working on, a new translation of an ancient Betazoid text that they'd only recently found that her contemporaries were all racing to find new meaning in, and thunked her head down on the now empty real estate.

She hadn't slept in three days.

There was a knock at the door and she quickly sat up. "YES I'M UP."

The door shifted open and a nervous ensign poked his head in to report that they'd docked and the new reports would be available for review soon.

Brienne sighed and nodded. "S-Sure, yeah, get them to me as soon as they're done," she muttered, "and make sure medical staff is properly supported. Anyone with biology background who can hold a tricorder. They were hit hard."

The ensign nodded. "Yes, sir." He said, saluting and stepping out, leaving Brienne to her thoughts again.

Brienne glanced to her harmonica on the desk and sighed, reaching over to absently spin it and once again trying to reach her brother.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," she murmured in a soft voice.
Last edited by Brienne Rose on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ryan Murphy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Ryan Murphy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 am

The Lieutenant Commander was not the "desk" type of guy. He had finished reviewing the revelant reports before he had decided to take a walk. Their last battle with the Gorn had nearly cost them the ship, and many lives had been lost.

He made his way down a corridor when he nearly got bumped into by an Ensign, thankfully the Commanding Officer is quick on his feet. The Ensign muttered a quick "Sorry Captain" and skittered off. The man than noticed the new Chief of Science seeming stressed about a phone call, he just seemed to study for a few moments, he didn't interrupt her however.

He wasn't much of a Science guy, but as part of his duties, he had to check in with each Department Head.

Commanding Officer
USS Sampson
"It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Brienne Rose

Post by Brienne Rose » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 am

"Pick up, pick up, pick u--o-oh!" she quickly stood up and saluted. "S-Sir--C-Captain Sir! I'm sorry, I just--n-nevermind, it's not important," she quickly turned back to her screen and ended the unanswered call. "What can I do for you, captain?" she asked, still standing at awkward attention. This was not a woman with a military family, a military knowledge. But she was trying.

Ryan Murphy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Ryan Murphy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:37 pm

The Commanding Officer snapped to attention and returned the salute. He than stated, "Nothing in particular Lieutenant. After the attacks and the crew changes, it is necessary for me to make rounds and check in. Is there anything you need?" He knew the squint types were not the typical Military people, but on the inside, he found it amusing how she tried. Truth be told, the Commanding Officer knew nothing about squinty stuff, so he left it to her to tell him what, if anything, she needed.

Commanding Officer
USS Sampson

Brienne Rose

Post by Brienne Rose » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 pm

She blinked, confused for a moment. "I-It's Ensign, s--" she began...then blinked a bit and winced. No, she got a promotion with her new position. "Er...s-sorry," she said quickly, clearing her throat.

Idiot.

"Uh, we're operating alright for the time being," she said quickly, trying to salvage some sort of first impression here. She wasn't sure if she'd ever met the new captain. Everything before the attack was kind of a blur that her brain was still trying to salvage. She sat down and rapped quickly on her computer. "Medical is still over-taxed without a chief medical officer, so I assigned some of my personnel to assist where they could. Other than the former Chief and a few other officers," mostly the ones higher ranked than her, she thought grimly, "my staff is mostly interact. We're operating nominally, and most of our duties are non-essential for the time being."

She rattled off her report quickly and competently once she got over herself...maybe she wasn't as inept as she seemed, though she was still obviously in over her head.

"What about you, captain?" she went on, looking up to him with a very civilian look of concern. "Are you...alright? After the attack, I mean..."

Ryan Murphy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Ryan Murphy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 pm

He easily picked up on her lack of confidence, but given the situation he can't really blame her. People who are often brain smart aren't always the best in dangerous situations. But thats where people like him come in handy.

He however, listened carefully to her statement. He than nodded slightly once she finished and he added, "I am working on bringing in new crew, but with the casualties since the attack, it will take time. I will see what aide I can bring in to help" What he wasn't going to let on is that some were... afraid of being assigned to the Sampson due to what recently happened and the role the Sampson plays, it takes a unique type person to join their band of misfits.

He was surprised when she asked about him, he than stated, "I am doing well, thank you for asking" his tone was less... serious, truth be told, he was doing ok, he was used to these kind of situations... But truth be told, he watched Captain Keyes die in his arms, and he has been having a rough time since then, namely a lack of sleep and the nightmares... But he's good at hiding those things.

Commanding Officer
USS Sampson

Brienne Rose

Post by Brienne Rose » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm

"It would take a better person than I to be level-headed after that attack," she said with some amount of gallows humor in her tone. "I'm a wreck. But suffering builds character, I suppose."

"Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help," she went on. "I've told my staff to put all projects on hold and to put themselves out there to help other departments. Our pet projects can wait," she gave a sick little smile.

Riley Rossi

Post by Riley Rossi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Riley had been busy ever since the attack. They were right in quite the serious mess. Hundreds of casualties, and various systems damaged or destroyed. He wondered if his home was going to be scuttled or scraped. But he wasn't going to let that happen. Not to his fellow peers nor the Sampson herself.

He worked around the clock organizing Damage Control and their Medical Staff. Even though it technically wasn't his job, they desperately needed some sort of leadership. Riley was just a mere Lieutenant, but he was still a born Leader. That necessarily didn't mean he had any problems following either. He assumed their acting Captain, Murphy, had enough on his plate already. Even Riley found himself stressed from time to time, and incredibly exhausted.

Riley would try to steal sleep every now and then, but his dreams turned to nightmares. Nightmares of the Gorn and of his friends dying in battle. The smell of charred flesh lingered within his brain. It truly was something you would never forget.

But on another somewhat, sleepless night, he received a message on his personal computer from Murphy, forwarded from Fleet Command. He was to be made the Sampson's Executive Officer, the 2nd in Command, if you will. From that moment on, he was going to aspire to become a finer officer and help lead the crew into the wild black yonder.

Riley cleaned himself up and made his way to the bridge where Murphy was. "XO on the bridge!" The Boastwain called out with a salute. Riley went straight up to Murphy and saluted. "Lieutenant Rossi reporting sir."

Ryan Murphy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Ryan Murphy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 am

The Captain nodded slightly to her, he than added, "Everyone processes tragedy different Lieutenant. Come with me" He spoke in an even keeled and calm tone. He was always told one of the requirements of being a good Commanding Officer is to keep a cool and level head, even if you are a wreck on the inside. He'll never show vulnerability in public. With that, the Captain turned on a heel and made his way to the bridge, he at least wanted to check things out, as they were in dry dock, he was curious to see what the changes on the way for them were going. He knew technically what was involved and that Lieutenant Hikawa was very excited, anything involving weapons, controls and such is something that tends to flick Lieutenant Hikawa's switch.

Once the Captain arrived on the bridge, the Security Officer saluted and stated, "Captain on the bridge!" A few moments later, the Security Officer than stated, "It is good to see you Captain" He than nodded slightly to the other man, returned the salute and stated, "It is good to see you as well, how is it coming?" The man added, "They are wrapping up the console replacement at this time" The Captain gave the man a slight nod and stepped inside.

A few moments later, he heard the Security Officer call out that the Executive Officer was on the bridge. He sighed a bit, he will have to have a talk to them about protocol. As such, it is considered "rude" in the military type environment to acknowledge a lower officer in such a fashion in the presence of a higher ranking officer. But he'll take care of that later. He than stated, "Hello Lieutenant" to the Executive Officer, as he returned the salute to the other man. he than stated, "How have you been Lieutenant?" His tone was even keeled and calm. Once they responded, he than added, "Have you met Lieutenant Rose yet?" He than gestured slightly towards Lieutenant Rose.

Commanding Officer
USS Sampson